15 Interesting Facts You Didn’t Know About Lacrosse
lacrosse continues to garner a large fan following and is considered one of the leading team games in the US. It might well be the game of your choice. Here are a few interesting facts about the game:
- Lacrosse at one point in history was considered the most commonly played team sport in the North American continent.
- The popularity and widespread use of the game throughout the continent meant a number of historians mistook it as the country’s national pastime.
- It is a game that is particularly popular amongst the indigenous people that lived on the continent.
- They believed the game to be God given for purposes of enjoyment and was used by the natives in solving disputes, healing people, for preparation of war and even for spiritual development.
- The Iroquois who live in Upstate New York and Ontario in Canada have been credited with introducing the game to European Settlers, some 300 years ago.
- Lacrosse is the fastest game on two feet to be played in the world.
- The United States is seeing a significant increase in the number of people interested in the sport with the country experiencing its fastest growth for a sport.
- While the Native Americans created the game, the details of how the game was played back in the time by them continue to be shrouded in mystery.
- The first time the rules of the game were created was back in 1794 when the tribes of Mohawks and the Seneca played the game against one another.
- The first recorded game of Soccer that was played by women was recorded in 1890 in Scotland.
- In the year 1763, the game of Lacrosse was used by two Native American tribes to distract the British soldiers holed up inside the Fort Michilimackinac.
- The Indian version of Lacrosse was often played by large number of players with the numbers capable of rising from anywhere in the region of 100 to 1000 players.
- The Natives and most interestingly the French are credited with setting the foundations on which the game continues to stand.
- The first time the French started to play the game was back in the 1800s which meant that the game was civilized by the Frenchmen playing the game. They developed legal rules and procedures etc., for the game to be played.
- Today, the reach of the game has been such that it has truly transformed into a global sport with countries such as South Korea, Sweden, Japan, Italy, Czech Republic, France, and England being active players of this sport.
The above were just a few of the long list of interesting facts about the game of Lacrosse.